By: Sheila Dicks
If we didn’t have enough to think about as we get older – aging parents, empty nests, new jobs, etc. we also have to deal with changing bodies and how to clothe them. Don’t despair all is not lost, you can look great after forty and not have to sneak into your daughter’s closet to do it.
Many women who are not sure how to deal with thick waists and bulging tummies head straight for the baggy rack and try to conceal their bodies with shapeless clothing. And to make matters worse, they wear their makeup and hair the same way they always have.
The key to looking great after forty is to make subtle changes in your clothing, hair and makeup that will equal a facelift and a trainer – well, maybe not that much difference. Here are some tips that you can put into practice right away:
1. Wear your skirts at the knee with a great pair of shoes to show off one of the most ageless and flattering parts of your body – your legs- they stay looking younger longer.
2. Wear tailored clothes, such as shaped jackets that glide over your tummy and waist. Stay away from boxy, baggy jackets and tops that hang from the bust and add five pounds.
3. The easiest way to put pizzazz into your outfit without looking overdone is to update your shoes and purses. If you carry a purse that looks like your grandmother’s – square and boring you’ll look outdated. Choose purses in different shapes and colors that will add interest. There are lots of styles and shapes available, the most flattering being a shoulder bag that fits nicely under your arm.
4. Stay away from clothing that has ‘old lady’ written all over it, such as huge shoulder pads, narrow pant legs, tiny prints, sweaters with embroidered flowers and big fancy buttons. If it’s something your mother would wear then it is not something for you.
5. To look fashionable you don’t have to wear the latest styles. Stick to classic lines that suit your body type and develop a look that reflects your personality and lifestyle.
Â©Copyright 2006 Sheila Dicks
About The Author:
Sheila Dicks is an Image and Wardrobe consultant who helps women feel more confident by dressing to suit their body type. To get tips on how to dress slimmer and find your best styles get a copy of her ebook “Image Makeover” at http://www.how-to-dress.com or go to http://www.sheilasfashionsense.com to get the Free Report ” 7 Things Your Girlfriends Won’t Tell You About Beauty and Fashion”.
Photo: Christopher Peterson